Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sour Patch Kid Cookies





Greetings!  This is the second installment in my Christmas Series.  These cookies are my absolute favourite at Christmas.  My mom and I kind of invented them, in a way.  We saw a recipe for something similar, but they used gumdrops.  We decided to switch it up and add Sour Patch Kids instead.  The taste is very unique and fruity.  

The cookies are definitely not sour, as some of the tartness lightens up in the cooking process.  The cookies themselves are very soft and chewy, which is one of the main reasons I love them so much.  I think kids would get a kick out of these because they are so different.  

I had to take my pictures of these quickly as they do not last very long in this house!  


Ingredients:

1 Cup Sour Patch Kids (Red and Green)
1 3/4 Cups White Flour
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt


Directions:

1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Start by preparing the sour patch kids.  I bought one of the big bags and separated the colours.  Red and green look more festive than using all of the colours, and I found that the bag had exactly one cup of red and green in it.  I cut my sour patch kids in half before placing them in a ziploc with 1/2 cup of the white flour.  Shake them up so they are coated in flour, this keeps them from sticking together when mixed into the batter.




3.  In a mixer combine the shortening and brown sugar.  Add egg and liquid and beat until smooth.




4.  In a separate bowl mix the baking soda, salt and 1 1/4 cups of flour.  Add this to the mixer with the creamed mixture.  Add the candy and mix well.




5.  Drop the cookies onto a baking pan with a spoon.  I used greased parchment because it keeps the bottoms from getting too brown.  Make sure you place them at least two inches apart, because these will spread and get stuck together, as some of mine did! This recipe makes approximately 24 cookies.





6.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.  They will apear gooey inside when they come right out of the oven, but once they cool they will set.









No comments: